PhpDig.net

Go Back   PhpDig.net > PhpDig Forums > Troubleshooting

Old 06-29-2004, 10:39 AM   #1
mixonic
Green Mole

Telling PhpDig to index specific pages...

Ok, so I have PhpDig working wonderfully, with PDFs and all that wonderful stuff. It's easy to integrate into sites with the templates, and I love it

There is one site I am fitting PhpDig into that primarially has fancy javascript menus, and PhpDig doesnt want to spider into them. However, this is where most of the content is. Is there a way to feed another few start pages for indexing manually?

Thanks

-mix
mixonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 04:47 PM   #2
vinyl-junkie
Purple Mole

First of all, if you wanted to index a single page that didn't have the fancy javascript, look at this thread.

It's a good idea to have a text based menu, which of course would solve your phpdig problem, but it also benefits you for a couple of other reasons.

1) Search engines aren't too fond of javascript, so assuming this is a public website, they may not index it.

2) Some people turn off javascript in their browsers. If you're depending solely on javascript for site navigation, you're going to potentially lose a portion of your audience.

Hope this helps.
vinyl-junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 10:06 AM   #3
mixonic
Green Mole

better idea!

Heh, I am an open standards advocate to the point of foolishness, and javascript onclick links in a TD field is...er....not my kind of thing

But, I must deal, its my job :-D

So...i figured altering the eregi was a better idea.....but i dont really know ereg well. hows this?

eregi("(<frame[^>]*src[[:blank:]]*=|MM_goToURL\(\'parent\',|href[[:blank:]]*=|http-equiv=['\"]refresh['\"] *content=['\"][0-9]+;url[[:blank:]]*=|window[.]location[[:blank:]]*=|window[.]open[[:blank:]]*[(])[[:blank:]]*[\'\"]?((([[a-z]{3,5}://)+(([.a-zA-Z0-9-])+(:[0-9]+)*))*([:%/?=&;\\,._a-zA-Z0-9\|+-]*))(#[.a-zA-Z0-9-]*)?[\'\" ]?",$eval,$regs)

the links normally look like this:

onClick="MM_goToURL('parent','Generators.htm');

heh, oh, and thats not in a TD, thatd be barbaric. It's in a TR. *sigh*
Old 06-30-2004, 10:09 AM   #4
mixonic
Green Mole

hey its working!

hey i think it's working!

just some thoughts:

could you add the ability to specify your own pregs or eregs in the UI? it would lend itself to powerfull things....

instead, maybe parse all the javascript on____() functions and look for htm|html|php|asp etc....I know it looks like you're trying to avoid that though.

Thanks for the hot tools again

-mix